[R-SIG-Mac] built-in editor underlining

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sun Sep 17 16:49:16 CEST 2006

Parlamis,

On Sep 17, 2006, at 3:05 AM, Parlamis Franklin wrote:

> Thanks, Simon.  Of course I don't think you should do anything that
> would prohibit sourcing the file (and I guess most would agree).
>
> Re: syntax coloring.  I've turned it off because, when editing the
> beginning of a long file, I would get a long delay (multiple
> seconds) after I entered an open quotes (") as the rest of the
> document changed color because all quotes were now matched
> differently.

Ok, I see - this is definitely something we can work on. I tend to
split long scripts, because they are easier to manage, so I didn't
see that behavior. Currently R.app does full highlighting for the
entire file each time you change something. I guess a better approach
would be to do the immediate highlighting only for a few dozen lines
and update it asynchronously later (or on-demand). This shouldn't be
too hard to do, I'll see if I can implement that it in the next few
days..

Thanks,
Simon