[R-SIG-Mac] snow cluster - unable to open connection

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat Sep 9 17:42:25 CEST 2006

On Sep 9, 2006, at 11:31 AM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> [...] TCP ports are 16-bit, so there is no such thing as port
> 600011 as the firewall software correctly tells you. If you take it
> modulo 2^32, you'll get port 10187

^^ that should've read 2^16 of course. Nowadays, in the world of 32-
bit and 64-bit machines, you hardly get to type 2^16 anymore ;).

BTW: Given that OS X boxes come by default with almost no listening
ports at all (unlike other OSes), I'm not too worried about running
them without local firewalls as long as there is a university/
corporate firewall between the box and the internet. Of course this
is only true as long as you don't enable any file sharing software ;).