[R-SIG-Mac] missing symbols in build of Mac-GUI?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Sep 7 14:57:08 CEST 2006

Kevin,

On Sep 6, 2006, at 7:59 PM, Kevin B. Hendricks wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Yes - Mac-GUI rev. 3699 now works with the current R-devel.
>
> Thanks.  That fixed my problem.
>
> BTW: I personally don't like the idea of universal binaries
> especially for things I build from svn checkout myself (such as R
> on a daily basis). I simply can not see the benefit of having a ppc
> set of *.dylib on an i386 machine and visa-versa.  So I hack
> modified the Makefile and the R.dep file and the xproject pieces in
> Mac-GUI to build an i386 only version of R.app.  It is possible
> that otheres feel as I do about universal binaries.
>
> So would you be interested in any patches to build Mac-GUI for only
> one platform (selectable of course) instead of just the universal
> version?

I'm not quite sure what you mean - selecting "Development" target for
example builds current architecture only. Setting the architectures
is as easy as checking the target architecture checkbox in Xcode, so
I'm not sure what you had to patch ... The project itself can be
built either way without modification.