[R-SIG-Mac] snow cluster - unable to open connection

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Wed Sep 6 18:36:09 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 12:28, Martin Renner wrote:
> Thank you for the replies, Luke and Sean!
>
> turning off the firewall on each and every machine did finally allow
> me to start the cluster across all my machines. Keeping the firewall
> on would be desirable, however. Using tcp wrappers I can restrict
> access to local IPs - although I loose the bonjour-names
> (machineA.local, etc - need to use IP numbers instead). When the
> firewall is turned on, the console.log records "Firewall Tool: Error,
> Start Port (600011) invalid!" when trying to start the cluster. I've
> tried to open tcp port 600011, but that didn't help. If someone
> figures out how to work snow with the firewall left intact, please
> let me know.  Nevertheless, my snow cluster is working now - big
> thank-you to Luke Tierney et al. for snow!

Great to hear that it is working for you.

I should leave this to Luke and others with more experience to answer, but a
cheap and easy solution if the machines are physically close to each other
might be to put all your machines behind a hardware firewall (router).  Then
you can be somewhat more comfortable about turning off the actual machine
firewalls.  I don't have any other suggestions.

You might also want to check on the MPICH or lam-mpi sites and email lists
(even if you aren't using those softwares, as I think they have the same
issues to deal with as far as firewalls).

Sean