[R-SIG-Mac] snow cluster - unable to open connection

Martin Renner rennerm at u.washington.edu
Sat Sep 2 12:34:21 CEST 2006

I'm trying to build a sock cluster using snow but have difficulties
to include more than one machine. In the terminal, password-less ssh
is working on all machines and each machine can talk to itself (cl <-
makeSOCKcluster ("localhost") works). Trying to cluster more than one
machine, I get:

Error in socketConnection (port = port, server = TRUE, blocking =
TRUE,  :
	unable to open connection
In addition: warning message:
port 600011 cannot be opened

I've tried to disable the firewalls as well as including "port = 22":
cl <- makeSOCKcluster (c("localhost", "localhost", "machine2.local",
"machine2.local"), port = 22)
but this fails just as well.

My set-up is as follows:
R version: 2.3.1
Mac OS versions: 10.3.9 (on dual G4 and G5 iMac), 10.4.7 (MacBook Pro)

Has anybody else encountered this problem? I've searched the usual
sites with no luck. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Martin

Martin Renner
Postdoctoral Fellow
University of Washington
School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences
PO Box 355020
Seattle, WA 98195-5020, USA

current address:
Alaska Maritime NWR               907-235 6546 (work)
95 Sterling Highway, Suite 1      907-235-7783 (fax)
Homer, AK 99603, USA