[R-SIG-Mac] Run C functions in R in Mac

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Oct 23 01:06:31 CEST 2006

Bodhisattva,

On Oct 22, 2006, at 5:45 PM, Bodhisattva Sen wrote:

> I have recently installed R 2.4 in my Intel based MacBook laptop. I
> want
> to access C functions from R source files (*.R files). Earlier I
> was using
> the commands
>
> system('R CMD SHLIB file_name.c')
> dyn.load('file_name.so')
>
> in Linux based machines and it was working.

The command is the same and works if you have all necessary tools
installed.

> But in the Mac machine the
> same command gives a warning messege
>
> "Library/Framework/R.framework/Resources/bin/SHLIB : line 1 make:
> command not found" along with an error in dyn.load(...).

That's not a warning, that's an error telling you that you don't have
the necessary "make" command. You must install Apple Development
Tools (aka Xcode) first. They are present either in the Applications/
Installers directory or on the Mac OS X DVD or they can be downloaded
from ADC. (Please read the FAQ).