[R-SIG-Mac] Problems with R.mpkg and Tcl/Tk

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Oct 11 18:42:43 CEST 2006

Alexey,

On Oct 8, 2006, at 4:56 AM, iit512 wrote:

> Since official R now exists only for Tiger, I upgraded my Panther
> 10.3.9 to 10.4.3, then to 10.4.8. After that, I had several
> troubles regarding installation of R. First of all, R.mpkg neither
> from R.2.3.1.dmg, nor from R-2.4.0.dmg, nor from R-2.4.0-mini.dmg
> open in installer. Console had the message "Can't open package /
> Volumes/R-2.4.0-mini/R.mpkg (there was an error reading the file
> R.info)." Yes, this file (R.info) is absent in R.mpkg/Contents/
> Resources/English.lproj. Unfortunately, my efforts to create such a
> file manually were useless.

This seems like a broken upgrade of your system or damaged image.
Possibly you're fetching the outdated installer from the previous
system. I have seen a similar problem on a broken system (it wouldn't
open any installer files) long time ago. In that instance the OS was
defective and had to be re-installed. I don't know if that is your
case (I hope not), but the images work perfectly well on all systems
I tested. You may want to check the MD5 sum to make sure the image is
ok. There is no such thing as "R.info" in any of the packages.

> Then I have started the installation of separate packages from /
> Packages folder of disk image, despite the warning (-- Please use R
> installer in the root of this image! --), because I had no other
> choice except compiling from source. The installation of R
> framework went well, but R-GUI.pkg refused to install with a
> message "You cannot install this software on this volume. Requires
> R framework version 2.4.x" -- but R framework 2.4.0 was already
> installed and worked from console!

Again, this looks as if your installer is broken. The package
instructs the installer to look for
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.4/Resources/lib/libR.dylib
You may want to check manually - if it is there, then it's definitely
the installer.

> So, my first question, how to avoid this troubles in future?

Get a working system ;)? No, seriously, I cannot reproduce any of the
problems you illustrated. If you can reproduce the problems on
another system, please let me know.

> The second question concerns Tcl/Tk and R Commander. I am the
> Russian translator of this package (and also of R itself), so I am
> interesting how to avoid the really ugly-looking Russian fonts in
> Tcl/Tk? (See the attachment for an example).

This will be an X11 and/or Tcl/Tk font issue. You can try your luck
on R-help, consult any leads concerning cyrillic fonts in X11 on the
web and/or ask the maintainer Rcmdr about font handling. The issue
should not be Mac-specific, as X11 is used on all unix variants.

> And also, when I forget to load X11 before calling R Commander, the
> first time tcl/tk interface finishes with error, which is OK. But
> if I load X11, and call R Commander the second time, R hangs
> forever (and no message on console). If I run X11 first, R
> Commander works relatively well.

Same as above, you may want to ask the Rcmdr maintainer.