[R-SIG-Mac] Mac or Windows...?

Byron Ellis byron.ellis at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 22:36:42 CET 2006

On 11/10/06, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:

>   - Subversion has better integration (TortoiseSVN) in Windows than on
> the Mac.  In fact, there isn't even a binary of version 1.4.x of
> Subversion available for download yet, two months after release.  But if
> you're set up for compiling R, compiling svn isn't a big deal, and if
> you're not set up for compiling R, you may have no need for Subversion,
> so this isn't much of a problem.

That is because Martin Ott of Coding Monkeys maintains a very nice
binary package for Subversion. Just updated today to 1.4.2 in fact.
Xcode IIRC now supports Subversion (as does TextMate, my favorite Mac
editor).

http://www.codingmonkeys.de/mbo/Subversion-1.4.2.pkg.zip

> And some irritants that may or may not be relevant:
>
>   - I know Windows tools better so I'm still more comfortable there.  I
> think there is no Mac equivalent of TortoiseSVN or Beyond Compare (a
> graphical diff utility, quite a bit better than what I've found for the
> Mac so far).

TextMate's graphical diff is quite good. I can't speak to a
TortoiseSVN-esque tool since I prefer to use it through my editor, but
I would be unsurprised to learn that such a Finder extension existed
(I don't really use the Finder much). There is an SVN plugin for
Quicksilver if you use that.

> Duncan Murdoch
> >
> > Thanks for all
> >
> > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >
> > Carlos GUERRA
> >

> > Instituto Politécnico de Viana do Castelo
> >
> > Escola Superior Agrária de Ponte de Lima
> >

> > Mosteiro de Refóios do Lima
> >
> > 4990-706 Ponte de Lima
> >
> > PORTUGAL
> >

> > MAIL: carlosguerra at esa.ipvc.pt