[R-SIG-Mac] Mac or Windows...?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Nov 10 19:02:45 CET 2006

On Nov 10, 2006, at 12:39 PM, Don MacQueen wrote:

> I know that, but there might be something out there that I haven't
> heard of.
> For all I know, maybe Simon is smart enough to install Wine without
> CrossOver.

Indeed, it's just the current version of Wine without any add ons (it
is reasonably easy to compile and I could put up a binary for those
interested). Originally I was installing it only to be able to run
HHC when cross-compiling R for Windows and I was surprised that the
resulting R worked including graphics and all. The Wine page is
warning that the support is very shaky, but apparently it is
sufficient to run R (the R installer works as well). You can, of
course, get even better Windows support if you have a Windows license
and use native DLLs instead of Wine's implementations, but that's
another story and we may be getting off-topic here I suppose ;)