[R-SIG-Mac] R EPS graphics and PDFs from Word Documents

Dan Putler putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Sat Nov 4 01:32:53 CET 2006

Hi All,

This is likely to be viewed as being at the margins of acceptable for
this list, but I've run into an issue that I can't find a way around.
Specifically, I'm working with a Windows based co-author, who is also
MS Word based. So far I've found that we get the best graphic quality
using EPS graphic files created by R. The problem is that when I just
use the standard way of getting a PDF of the Word document by saving
the file as a PDF in the main print dialog, the resulting PDF has the
grayed warning box indicating that the graphic can't be seen on
screen. If I instead use the option to convert the PDF to PostScript,
and then convert the resulting PostScript file back to PDF using
Preview, I get the graphics the way they should be. I can see them on
screen, and so can anyone else. I can print them on one of my
PostScript printers, but when folks on Windows go to print these PDFs
to a PCL printer the output is a string of Ss. I then tried taking
the PS files and converting them to PDFs using ghostscript (ESP's OS
X port of gs 7.07 available from Gimp-Print). This causes all the
graphics to come through properly, but the text is gibberish. I did
get what appears to be a clean conversion via CERN's document service
(but in A4, which is a problem in Canada and the US).

Has anyone run into this problem and discovered the work-around that
seems to be eluding me?

Dan