[R-SIG-Mac] RMySQL install failure

Jeff Ryan jeff.a.ryan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 16:41:26 CET 2006

Hello,

Sort of confused who I was talking to - plus I'm not registered on R-SIG-Mac so I don't think these replies are making it through.

One part (of many) to the RMySQL problems I was having was no zlib detected.  Looking through the Makefile inside the tar.gz RMySQL I noticed some comments relating to the error - they sort of dismissed them as not the package's problem, and said "oh well" if people couldn't figure it out.

Definetely check that the most recent XCode is installed, and your PATH variable is set to include all the related includes from the developer's tools.

Another thing you may try in uncompressing the RMySQL package like so:

$ tar -xvzf RMySQL....tar.gz (fill in your version)

And cd to the new directory. Read all the documentation there - e.g. README...

Try running the standard (unix not R standard) configure/make and look at the errors.  It may be a linker issue, or a permissions one, or something else.

You'll probably just have to discard the configure/build(make) process, but it may give you some hints as to what is causing the problems.

I haven't had a moment to try to rebuild my install, but as soon as I do I'll tell you how it went.

Jeff