[R-SIG-Mac] RMySQL install failure

P. B. Pynsent p.b.pynsent at bham.ac.uk
Thu Nov 2 18:49:46 CET 2006

Jeff,

Thank you for this information, unfortunately this made no difference:

$ ls /usr/local/mysql/lib
libdbug.a               libmysql.imp
libmysqlclient_r.a      libmysys.a
libmygcc.a              libmysqlclient.a
libmystrings.a          libz.a

$ export PKG_CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/mysql/include"

$ export PKG_LIBS="-L/usr/local/mysql/lib -lmysqlclient"

$ sudo R CMD INSTALL RMySQL_0.5-10.tar.gz
* Installing *source* package 'RMySQL' ...
creating cache ./config.cache
checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
checking for compress in -lz... no
checking for getopt_long in -lc... no
checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for mysql.h... no

Configuration error:
    Could not locate the library "libz" required by MySQL.

INSTRUCTIONS:

    The "libz" library is required by the MySQL client library
    in order to compress/uncompress connections between clients
    and the MySQL engine.

    Make sure you have "libz" installed properly and/or included
    in your $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Perhaps it is not in any of the
    standard directories (e.g., /usr/lib/, /usr/local/lib)?

Aborting the installation of RMySQL.

ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RMySQL'
** Removing '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.4/Resources/
library/RMySQL'

Thanks,
Paul