[R-SIG-Mac] Unable to INSTALL nlme package under OS X (Intel) with R-2.3.0

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu May 25 18:43:45 CEST 2006

I am unable to install or check the nlme package under OS X (Intel)
with R-2.3.0.  The transcript ends with

ERROR: compilation failed for package 'nlme'

after attempting to compile the arch - ppc.  It looks as if the
compilation for arch - i386 has succeeded.

I can provide more details if that would help.  This is rather
embarrassing because I was installing some bug fixes and now I can't
check them without going back to my trusty Linux machines.