[R-SIG-Mac] Several R installation issues

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Thu May 25 02:07:34 CEST 2006

Simon Urbanek wrote:
> Nevertheless, if you take some care, you may run R regardless of the
> symlink in some circumstances. If you're talking about command-line
> version of R, it's actually easy, just change R_HOME in the R start
> script to point to the version-specific Resources directory. (You'll
> need separate scripts anyway, but $R_HOME/bin/R must always be
> correct and correspond to the $R_HOME).
OK thanks! That's exactly what I'm interested in, so before I bother you
more
I'm going to try this and will come back here with my feedback...
Sorry for my last post. Please ignore it.

Cheers,

H.

> If you want to run the GUI, you have to be more careful. First, you
> have to make sure that it is linked to the version-specific libR (see
> otool -L). If it's not, you'll have to change it (install_name_tool -
> change ...). Secondly, you have to make sure that R.app knows about
> the R_HOME. There are several ways to do it - probably the easiest is
> to add Info.plist with bundle identifier to the R framework, i.e. put
> something like this in Resources/Info.plist of each R framework (you
> may want change the version of course):
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://
> www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
> <plist version="1.0">
> <dict>
>         <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
>         <string>org.r-project.R-framework</string>
>         <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
>         <string>6.0</string>
>         <key>CFBundleName</key>
>         <string>R</string>
>         <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
>         <string>FMWK</string>
>         <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
>         <string>2.3.0</string>
> </dict>
> </plist>
>
> </kids don't do this at home - for experienced users only!!>

Also good to know but I don't need to run the GUI for now. Thanks!

--
Hervé Pagès
E-mail: hpages at fhcrc.org
 Phone: (206) 667-5791