[R-SIG-Mac] Several R installation issues

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Wed May 24 04:16:48 CEST 2006

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your detailed explanations!

Simon Urbanek wrote:
> Hi Herve,
>
> yes, all what you say is plausible and known - I understand your
> frustration ;).
>
> 1) there is a bug in the requirements check of R-Framework.pkg which
> gets bypassed if you run R.mpkg

OK. I understand now why R.mpkg works and not R-Framework.pkg :-)

> 2) Apple Installer is too smart and removes files of any other  version.

Not necessarly "any other version": powerpc/R-2.2.1.dmg and R-2.3.0-mini.dmg
won't coexist but they will _not_ touch my R 2.1.1 installation.

> However, there is a work-around for 2): before you start the
> installer, run
> rm -rf /Library/Receipts/R-Framework.pkg
> This way AI will 'forget' about the other already installed version.
Thanks for the work-around. It works in the sense that after this removal,
powerpc/R-2.2.1.dmg will not delete my previous installation of R 2.3.0.
But after doing this, I'm still unable to launch R 2.3 from the command
line:

  dhcp157137:/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions compbio$
2.3/Resources/bin/R
  2.3/Resources/bin/R: line 166:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/etc/ppc/ldpaths: No such file
or directory

The correct path for the 'ldpaths' file is indeed
  /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/etc/ppc/ldpaths
not
  /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/etc/ppc/ldpaths

After having a closer look at the 2.3/Resources/bin/R and
2.2/Resources/bin/R
scripts, I found that they both try to access objects
under /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources but since, on my machine,
this is a symlink to the 2.2 installation (because I installed 2.2
_after_ 2.3),
then 2.3 is trying to access 2.2 resources :-/

Do you have a work-around for that?

Thanks again for your help,

H.

--