[R-SIG-Mac] installing rggobi-2.1.3 under Mac OS X

Reinhold Kliegl reinhold.kliegl at gmail.com
Mon May 15 17:00:37 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am crossposting this to ggobi-help and  r-sig-mac. There were some
recent posts reporting problems.

  I got rggobi working under Mac OS X 10.4.6 and R 2.3.0.  I  started
darwinx (>startx -- -quartz) and >ggobi. Then I started R from the
command line and from the GUI. I  only  tried  g <- ggobi(mtcars) and
it worked; no extensive testing of any sort.

I had to do various other things  before and after the darwinport
installation. So it might be useful to document this here for other
MacOS X users.  I used the gcc-4.0 compiler. (The ggobi download page
could be updated in this respect.)

(1) Before activating the darwinport,  I had to rename
.../X11R6 to .../X11R6.apple

I think this means that I no longer have Apple's X11; I read along
the way that is possible to keep them both.
Does anybody know how to do this?

(2) During activating the darwinport, quite a few libraries were not
found (e.g., atk). I fetched them from other sites and put them in
the .../distr folder.

(3) After activiating the darwinport, I had to put the following
statements into my .bashrc to get a window.
# Make sure you have the "port" command after installation
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH

#  Get a display
if [[ -z DISPLAY ]]; then
   export DISPLAY=:0.0
fi

(4) Then ggobi complained that I had version 1 of libfontconfig and
that it wants version 2. The following did the trick:
sudo port upgrade fontconfig

(5) During startup, ggobi complained that  hicolor-icon-theme was not
available. Again:
sudo port upgrade hicolor-icon-theme

(6) Finally, compiling rggobi was a bit tricky, too.  On the download
page, you might want to add a note to the effect that Mac OS X Users
probably have to add /opt/local/bin to their PATH and set
PKG_CONFIG_PATH to /opt/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig.
You also may want to remove "ggobirc" from the "mkdir ..." line of
the LINUX segment of the webpage.

So good luck to everybody. If you try to upgrade soon, I might be
able to help. In about 2 weeks I will have forgotten everything.

Best
Reinhold

PS: Here is my R sessionInfo()
Version 2.3.0 Patched (2006-05-11 r38037)
i386-apple-darwin8.6.1

attached base packages:
[1] "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "datasets"  "utils"
"methods"
[7] "base"

other attached packages:
     rggobi    lattice     Matrix
    "2.1.3"   "0.13-8" "0.995-10"

----
Reinhold Kliegl
Dept. of Psychology, University of Potsdam
PO Box 601553, 14415 Potsdam, Germany
phone: +493319772868, fax: +493319772793
http://www.psych.uni-potsdam.de/people/kliegl/