[R-SIG-Mac] Develop a GUI tcltk or Java

Sebastien Durand sebastien.durand at umontreal.ca
Fri Mar 24 04:03:03 CET 2006

Dear all,

I am running R.2.2.1 on a mac 10.4.5

I have build a very large set of R functions that
I which to integrate in a GUI.
The trouble here is that I don't know what to use
and for what I have read Java seems to be
promising and highly flexible,
whereas Java seems to be more common and simple.
I must say that I have never used either of those
language and I might be very wrong in these two
first statements.

Let me first describe what I am planning to do
before I ask you some more questions.
I want to produce a GUI based on tabulations.  On
the first tabulations, file preview will be
shown, plots will be made and many R function
parameters will be accesible to the user.  Then
on the later tabs, more plots will be shown, and
even 3d maps.  I am skipping some details of
course...

So now, here is my questions

Should I use Tcltk, Java or someother language.
Considering that I wish to have fun while I will
be doing this what should I use to make my
journey be more efficient, and pleasant.
Is there any good software that I should use to help me design my GUI...
Finally if your are suggesting me tcltk, which
one shall I install tcltkaquaBi or x11 tcltk.
Please note that I would like to work on a GUI
that will not require constant maintaining (due
to updates), even so it might take a while to
construct.

Thanks in advance to all.

Sébastien
--