[R-SIG-Mac] Still an issue with quartz windows not being deleted

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Sat Jul 1 15:36:30 CEST 2006

Hi,

In some of my R sessions, I generate a large number of quartz windows
(thanks for the ability to name them, by the way, this is very
helpful to me). I also generate a fairly large number of pdf graphics
(i.e. when I want to save graphs to files, I usually produce them
with a call to pdf instead of to quartz).

When my sessions lasts for more than a few minutes (therefore when
large numbers of graphics windows are involved), I get some windows
that refuse to be deleted. If I click their "close" button they
disappear allright, but some of them remain listed in the Windows
menu. Similarly, if I issue "graphics.off()", all quartz windows that
were visible disappear, but some of them often remain in the Windows
menu. Repeated uses of "graphics.off()" do not remove the stubborn
quartz items from the Windows menu. And it is not just the list in
the Windows menu that is wrong: selecting these items actually makes
them visible, so they are still there and have "survived" my use of
"graphics.off().

I mentioned my creation of pdf files during my sessions because I
have noticed the problem is almost certain to occur after I have
created such files, but I'm not sure the problem occurs if I do not.
This may be a coincidence though...

Sincerely,

Denis
p.s. I'm presently using v3255 of R.app; this started happening with
my move from R 2.2 to 2.3, I think