[R-SIG-Mac] gfortran

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Mon Jan 30 16:20:37 CET 2006

gfortran compiles find on powerpc systems -- not on mactel
systems. until a few weeks ago, people with mactel systems
were under nondisclosure and could not post the info on
any mailing lists.

On Jan 30, 2006, at 07:04 , Paul Roebuck wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>
>> On Jan 27, 2006, at 4:54 PM, Paul Roebuck wrote:
>>
>>> I continue to hear Apple's branch has broken gfortran, though never
>>> hear specifically what is broken about it.
>>
>> It doesn't compile - that's what's broken :). My impression is that
>> there is quite a bunch of new pieces and changes in the C back-end
>> code that were shared by the gfortran, but the fortran part was not
>> updated correspondingly. I tried to patch some of the holes, but
>> didn't get very far. Maybe if someone has the spare time to trace all
>> the changes individually in both the FSF and Apple branch could put
>> it together...
>>
>>> I don't mind filing a bug report with them too
>>
>> The problem is Apple doesn't support gfortran and never did. The
>> ability to compile gfortran from the Apple branch was just incidental
>> and required some tweaking as well (basically manually enabling f95
>> in the build script and patching together fat gfortran libraries),
>> but it was harmless. When you ask them, they say "use f2c" (but R
>> doesn't support that).
>
> I guess what I find odd about [gfortran not compiling] is
> that no one seems to mention that in the Apple mailing
> list over the last couple months.
>
> <http://lists.apple.com/archives/fortran-dev/2006/Jan/>

===
Jan de Leeuw; Distinguished Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of
Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 8125 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
.mac: jdeleeuw ++++++  aim: deleeuwjan ++++++ skype: j_deleeuw
homepages: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu ++++++ http://www.cuddyvalley.org