[R-SIG-Mac] gfortran

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sun Jan 29 00:20:08 CET 2006

On Jan 27, 2006, at 4:54 PM, Paul Roebuck wrote:

> I continue to hear Apple's branch has broken gfortran, though never
> hear specifically what is broken about it.

It doesn't compile - that's what's broken :). My impression is that
there is quite a bunch of new pieces and changes in the C back-end
code that were shared by the gfortran, but the fortran part was not
updated correspondingly. I tried to patch some of the holes, but
didn't get very far. Maybe if someone has the spare time to trace all
the changes individually in both the FSF and Apple branch could put
it together...

> I don't mind filing a bug report with them too

The problem is Apple doesn't support gfortran and never did. The
ability to compile gfortran from the Apple branch was just incidental
and required some tweaking as well (basically manually enabling f95
in the build script and patching together fat gfortran libraries),
but it was harmless. When you ask them, they say "use f2c" (but R
doesn't support that).