[R-SIG-Mac] Issues with R.app, Rcmdr, and saved workspaces

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Jan 23 18:23:14 CET 2006

Dan,

On Jan 23, 2006, at 2:28 AM, Putler, Dan wrote:

> Specifically, if you save a workspace during a session in which you
> have worked with Rcmdr, quit that session, start a new R session
> using that same workspace

Yes, that is a known issue with the X11 tcltk package if you try to
save tcltk objects in the image. Basically what happens is that when
you save a workspace containing tcltk objects, R will automatically
load tcltk on the next start while restoring the image. This very
often breaks things (including R crash), because R may have been
started in a different way before (cmd line/X11/R.app...). The short
answer is don't save tcltk objects.

The hot-fix for the Rcmdr is to run
rm(.commander.done)
before you quit R and save the image. I have no idea why this
variable is stored in the global environment instead of a private one
in Rcmdr, but you'll have to ask John about this.