[R-SIG-Mac] rgl window problem

stefano iacus stefano.iacus at unimi.it
Sat Dec 9 01:48:59 CET 2006

On 09/dic/06, at 01:03, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 12/6/2006 10:14 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> On 12/6/2006 9:51 AM, stefano iacus wrote:
>>> we usually use .Platform$GUI to check if we are under R.app or under
>>> the console
>>> Un R.app .Platform$GUI="AQUA", under terminal it is set to "X11" (if
>>> R is built with X11 support, which is the case of CRAN binary)
>>>
>>> stefano
>>> p.s. and this is Cocoa not Carbon. The OS X GUI itself is called
>>> AQUA
>>> though. Both Cocoa and Carbon are layers between the system and the
>>> AQUA GUI. So, definitely AQUA but not Carbon.
>>
>> Thanks.  I'll see if I can put in a test based on .Platform$GUI.
>
> I've done this now, and uploaded version 0.69 to CRAN.  This should
> also
> fix the "no update on resize" bug in OSX.
>
> I haven't put in Simon's suggestion for supporting both X11 and
> Cocoa in
> one build by using multiple libraries yet, but it's on my todo list.
> It looks a little messy, since now the decision on whether to support
> X11 or Cocoa is done at configure time.  Does anyone know of
> examples of
> packages that do the equivalent of two builds, with different
> configure
> options?

I'm not aware of this and rgl is quite peculiar in this respect
because on OS X we have two versions of GL.
Maybe, if you succeed the approach should be used for tcltk  package
as well. We still don't get AquaTclTk to work properly with R.app
because of event loop problems and we still use X11/TclTk, but Jan
shown that Aqua/TclTk works if you run R from the CMD line.
stefano