[R-SIG-Mac] rgl window problem

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Dec 6 19:19:24 CET 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 11:09 AM, roger koenker wrote:

> I'm still a bit lost...  It is true that I'm still using X11 to run R
> but I would
> be happy to use the GUI -- in fact I have used it a bit from my laptop
> for teaching purposes, but on my desktop I'm in need of building
> packages from source and haven't managed to see my way clear
> to using the binary versions that Simon is providing.  So ....
>
> I tried just downloading the GUI from  Simon's ATT page.  When
> this starts up, I get:
>

> Error in checkConflicts(value) : unimplemented type 'character' in
> 'asLogical'
> Error in seq_along(specs) : argument is not interpretable as logical
> Error in gzfile(file) : invalid 'encoding' argument
> [Workspace restored from /Users/roger/.RData]
>
> and library(rgl)  doesn't produce any messages, but neither does it
> do anything
> happens
> with other packages:  no complaints on loading, but no response from
> attempts
> to use the package, and search indicates that the packages aren't in
> the search
> list.  When R starts up it says it is running:
>
> 	R version 2.4.0 Under development (unstable) (2006-08-16 r38905)
>
> but this isn't the version that I'm running from my X11 windows...as
> noted below.

Oh, wow, your system is a mess ;). You appear to have at least two
different versions of R on your system and neither of them is the
CRAN build, so you are be pretty much on your own :P. In addition, it
seems as if you have custom packages installed in ~/Library/R as
well, which adds to the chaos, because they don't know about the
concept of R versions and thus break very often (I suspect this is
where your errors at start time come from).

Now to your actual problem - it seems that you want to run R-devel
instead of R 2.4.0 (if you don't, just install R 2.4.0 from CRAN and
everyone's happy). In that case, you must also run R.app (the GUI)
suitable for R-devel. Running R.app built for R 2.4 won't work. I
have just noticed that the R.app failed to build for R-devel due to
an API change, so that's why it was not available from my page. I
have now fixed that problem and the GUI should be available for R-
devel as well.

> url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
> email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
> vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
> fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820
>

> On Dec 6, 2006, at 9:14 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>
>> On 12/6/2006 9:51 AM, stefano iacus wrote:
>>> we usually use .Platform$GUI to check if we are under R.app or
>>> under  the console
>>> Un R.app .Platform$GUI="AQUA", under terminal it is set to
>>> "X11" (if  R is built with X11 support, which is the case of CRAN
>>> binary)
>>> stefano