[R-SIG-Mac] rgl window problem

stefano iacus stefano.iacus at unimi.it
Wed Dec 6 17:43:17 CET 2006

Roger,
with CRAN binary of R 2.4.0 + rgl (from cran as well), it works for
me in Aqua. I mean from inside the R.app.

As said, it cannot work from the shell nor under xterm with cran
version of rgl, unless you build rgl by forcing the build against X11
OpenGL instead of Cocoa OpenGL.

the error at startup look like some problem with your .RData

stefano

stefano

On 07/dic/06, at 01:09, roger koenker wrote:

> I'm still a bit lost...  It is true that I'm still using X11 to run R
> but I would
> be happy to use the GUI -- in fact I have used it a bit from my laptop
> for teaching purposes, but on my desktop I'm in need of building
> packages from source and haven't managed to see my way clear
> to using the binary versions that Simon is providing.  So ....
>
> I tried just downloading the GUI from  Simon's ATT page.  When
> this starts up, I get:
>

> Error in checkConflicts(value) : unimplemented type 'character' in
> 'asLogical'
> Error in seq_along(specs) : argument is not interpretable as logical
> Error in gzfile(file) : invalid 'encoding' argument
> [Workspace restored from /Users/roger/.RData]
>
> and library(rgl)  doesn't produce any messages, but neither does it
> do anything
> happens
> with other packages:  no complaints on loading, but no response from
> attempts
> to use the package, and search indicates that the packages aren't in
> the search
> list.  When R starts up it says it is running:
>
> 	R version 2.4.0 Under development (unstable) (2006-08-16 r38905)
>
> but this isn't the version that I'm running from my X11 windows...as
> noted below.
>
> url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
> email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
> vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
> fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820
>

> On Dec 6, 2006, at 9:14 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>
>> On 12/6/2006 9:51 AM, stefano iacus wrote:
>>> we usually use .Platform$GUI to check if we are under R.app or
>>> under  the console
>>> Un R.app .Platform$GUI="AQUA", under terminal it is set to
>>> "X11" (if  R is built with X11 support, which is the case of CRAN
>>> binary)
>>> stefano