[R-SIG-Mac] how can i install: glib/gtk 1.2.10

Tony Chiang tchiang at fhcrc.org
Thu Aug 31 18:39:06 CEST 2006

Hi Massimo,

If you download the tarball, you will need to unzip and tar the file, and
then install the software with

./configure
make
sudo make install

in the directory where you unpack all the files. This can be rather
tedious as you might need if there are other dependencies which
glibgtk-1.2.10-univ is dependent.

I would suggest getting Darwinport. Google darwinport and download the
.dmg file. Install this on your system. You will probably have to
add the path /opt/local/bin to your profile, otherwise you won't see the
port command. Once you have added the path, you will need to sync with the
commands

port sync

port selfupdate

then you can download and install the latest available
glibgtk-* by the command:

sudo port install "whatEverFile"

And that should be all that you need to do...you don't need to search for
dependencies or such. This is a pretty good way to download and install
open source software, and I have had some good luck with it.

Cheers,
--Tony