[R-SIG-Mac] Setting ulimit in R.app (GUI)

Klaus Thul kthul at mac.com
Sat Aug 26 16:15:45 CEST 2006

Dear all,

my R-program which does a lot of object allocation / de-allocation.

To be able to run it without running into excessive swapping, I have
to set an limit on the maximum memory used by R.

Within terminal, this can be done easily:

	ulimit -m 1000000
	> source("myprogram.R")

I can then observe nicely in ActivityMonitor that the amount of
memory used by R growth upto 1GB (my machine has 1.5GB installed) and
is then reduced drastically by the garbage collector.

But I would prefer to work in the GUI (R.app). Is there a way to set
such an limit for the R-process started within the GUI?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Best regards,
Klaus