[R-SIG-Mac] previous question

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Aug 25 10:18:15 CEST 2006

Ryan,

due to internal changes in the way R is started in the GUI, it is no
longer possible to change the working directory *before* starting R.
This is also due to a change made by Apple, such that the event
telling us which directory to load comes too late (basically it's a
chicken-and-egg problem).

Therefore the GUI starts R (incl. default initialization = loading
workspace from home), changes the directory as desired and loads the
workspace from that directory. This implies that the saved workspace
in your home directory is always loaded, regardless of the desired
starting directory. Hence it's a good idea to not save a workspace in
home, unless you want to load some common tools every time the GUI
gets started.

I agree that it would be possible to at least allow override the
initial directory in the preferences and update the documentation
correspondingly - I plan to do so ASAP.

Thanks,
Simon