[R-SIG-Mac] Crash when closing R-GUI

mcohen at mail.la.utexas.edu mcohen at mail.la.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 18 00:05:29 CEST 2006

When I try to close R and the R-GUI by clicking either the little red Aqua
button on the left or the "light switch" button on the right, R crashes, giving

 *** caught bus error ***
address 0x0, cause 'invalid alignment'

Possible actions:
1: abort (with core dump)
2: normal R exit
3: exit R without saving workspace
4: exit R saving workspace

Typing q() causes no problems at all.

This happens with both the R-2.3.1.dmg on CRAN and the newest stable builds of R
and R-GUI at R.research.att.com.

I'm running a iMac G5 with 10.4.7.  I've only noticed this behavior since R
2.3.1.  That said, I only started occasionally using the R-GUI again since
2.3.1.  I'm thinking I must be a problem local to my system, given that no one
else has mentioned it and it seems like something someone would have noticed
were it more widespread.  But I can't figure out what could be wrong with my
system, and I'm not even sure how to begin troubleshooting.  Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.