[R-SIG-Mac] Compiling ROracle on OSX 10.4.7/R 2.3.1

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Aug 1 06:34:58 CEST 2006

Alexander,

On Jul 31, 2006, at 1:14 PM, Alexander Ploner wrote:

> I have one or several problems with compiling ROracle under OS X
> 10.4.7 (ppc) and R 2.3.1, using the Oracle client v. 10g:
>
> 1) The default build process produces an empty dll: When running R
> CMD INSTALL, for some reason gcc is invoked with -arch i386 for
> compiling RS-DBI.c and RS-Oracle.c, but with -arch pcc for
> building  the library. Not surprisingly, the build is not
> successful, though it  does not crash, but only warns:

Can you send me the full output, please? The tidbit you posted
doesn't help because it doesn't show how the package is configured.
You may also want to send me the config.log. If you want to force
build of a single architecture only, you can use
R_ARCH=/ppc R CMD INSTALL ...

> 2) Fine, so I have hand-compiled by setting -arch ppc and removing
> the arguments '-march=pentium-m -mtune=prescott',

That doesn't sound good, because you would be still using the i386
paths, settigns etc. and that is not likely to work.

> The README file suggests to 1) set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the
> Oracle  lib directory

There is no LD_LIBRARY_PATH on OS X and by default full paths to
dylib are recorded, so it's not needed.

Unfortunately I don't have access to any Oracle DB so I cannot try to
reproduce it myself.