[R-SIG-Mac] RMySQL won't install

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Aug 1 06:27:19 CEST 2006

On Jul 31, 2006, at 2:26 PM, Chris Bunch wrote:

> I am having problems installing the RMySQL binary package [Mac OS X
> 10.4.7;
> R 2.3.1; R-GUI 1.16 (3198);
> mysql-max-5.0.22-osx10.4-powerpc-64bit (binary)]

  ^^^ --- this is not a good idea - it won't work, because the 64-bit
MySQL package doesn't contain 32-bit client libraries. You will have
to get the 32-bit version instead (or use 64-bit version of R
instead, but then you lose the GUI, Quartz etc.).

In theory 32-bit library could potentially work with 64-bit server as
they communicate over sockets, but I didn't test it myself, so I
don't know if that's true in practice.