[R-SIG-Mac] R 2.3 crashes when attempting package installation

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Apr 28 19:46:34 CEST 2006

Thanks, Matt.

On Apr 28, 2006, at 1:32 PM, mcohen at mail.la.utexas.edu wrote:

> I am using the latest R (2.3) within Emacs/ESS on an iMac G5.
>
> When I type "install.packages()" within R, the program crashes,
> generating the
> following error:
>
>> install.packages()
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---

Problem #1 - the repository you try doesn't have the packages - try
the main CRAN site first and then some other mirror near you.

> *** caught segfault ***
> address 0x5f4d4550, cause 'memory not mapped'

Problem #2 - it shouldn't crash. Strangely enough this crash happens
even with old builds of R as well. I have traced it down to
localization of the HTTP code, but can't figure out why it should
die. Minimal reproducible code is

download.file("http://www.google.com/foo","/tmp/foo")

(the site doesn't matter as long as it responds with 404). I'll see
if I can come up with a fix (possibly over the weekend) ...