[R-SIG-Mac] .mpkg not recognized

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Fri Apr 28 00:02:19 CEST 2006

If you don't have Installer.app in /Applications/Utilities then
indeed you cannot open mpkg files. If you do have it, then your
LaunchServices database is broken -- try dropping the mpkg on
Installer.app

On Apr 27, 2006, at 14:29 , Martin Henry H. Stevens wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> I can't install any R binaries any more, and have always done so in
> the past. The problem seems to be that my Mac no longer
> recognizes .mpkg i.e. doesn't know how to open it. I cannot find
> anything called Apple Installer on my machine (if I am supposed to
> have/see that...)?
>
> My machine details follow. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Hank Stevens
>
> Hardware Overview:
>
>    Machine Name:	Power Mac G5
>    Machine Model:	PowerMac7,2
>    CPU Type:	PowerPC 970  (2.2)
>    Number Of CPUs:	2
>    CPU Speed:	2 GHz
>    L2 Cache (per CPU):	512 KB
>    Memory:	8 GB
>    Bus Speed:	1 GHz
>    Boot ROM Version:	5.0.7f0
>    Serial Number:	XB3472Q1NVS
>
> System Software Overview:
>
>    System Version:	Mac OS X 10.4.6 (8I127)
>    Kernel Version:	Darwin 8.6.0
>    Boot Volume:	OfficeHD
>    Computer Name:	MHHS (3)
>    User Name:	Martin Henry H. Stevens (Hank)
>
> Dr. Martin Henry H. Stevens, Assistant Professor
> 338 Pearson Hall
> Botany Department
> Miami University
> Oxford, OH 45056
>
> Office: (513) 529-4206
> Lab: (513) 529-4262
> FAX: (513) 529-4243
> http://www.cas.muohio.edu/~stevenmh/
> http://www.muohio.edu/ecology/
> http://www.muohio.edu/botany/
> "E Pluribus Unum"

===
Jan de Leeuw; Distinguished Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of
Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 8125 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
.mac: jdeleeuw ++++++  aim: deleeuwjan ++++++ skype: j_deleeuw
homepages: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu ++++++ http://www.cuddyvalley.org