[R-SIG-Mac] Building R with png and jpeg support

Craig Amundsen cdamundsen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 16:26:09 CEST 2005

Hi -

On 9/29/05, stefano iacus <stefano.iacus at unimi.it> wrote:
> both dll rely on  X11, so to enable capabilities you need to first
> run the X11 window server on your mac and the launch R.
> stefano

Thanks for the reply.

I tried it. If I run an xterm and from its prompt execute
     "capabilities()" | R --slave
jpeg and png are true. If I leave X running and then try it from a
terminal.app window they are false. Is there any way to get them to be
true without executing from inside an xterm? I ask because my overall
plan is to run R from Python via the rpy module where it's all
happening in a CGI. In that situation running from inside an xterm
isn't possible.

- Craig