[R-SIG-Mac] Building R with png and jpeg support

Craig Amundsen cdamundsen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 04:27:51 CEST 2005

Hi -

I recently built R 2.1.1 on a machine running 10.3.9. After
configuring (based on the suggested line in the R on Mac FAQ I get the
following summary

  Source directory:          .
  Installation directory:    /Library/Frameworks

  C compiler:                gcc  -g -O2
  C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
  Fortran compiler:          g77  -g -O2

  Interfaces supported:      X11, aqua
  External libraries:        readline, BLAS(generic)
  Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, iconv, MBCS, NLS
  Options enabled:           framework, R profiling

  Recommended packages:      yes

Which seems to indicate that I am going to get PNG and JPEG
capabilities. But after making and installing, when I run capabilities
I get this result:

amundsen$ echo "capabilities()" | R --slave
    jpeg      png    tcltk      X11 http/ftp  sockets   libxml     fifo
   FALSE    FALSE    FALSE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
  cledit  IEEE754    iconv
   FALSE     TRUE     TRUE

It seems that I don't have PNG and jpeg capabilities. I have libpng
1.2.8 and jpeg 6b installed in /usr/local/lib and what appear to the
proper headers in /usr/local/include. Is there some step I'm missing
in the build process?

TIA for any wisdom anyone can provide
- Craig