[R-SIG-Mac] vecLib and building R from source

stefano iacus stefano.iacus at unimi.it
Fri Sep 2 02:35:32 CEST 2005

On 02/set/05, at 01:13, Kjell Konis wrote:

> On 31 Aug 2005, at 20:33, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>

>> On Aug 31, 2005, at 9:54 PM, Kjell Konis wrote:
>>

>>> On 31 Aug 2005, at 18:21, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>>>
>>> Here is my environment:
>>> CPPFLAGS="-I/Volumes/muffin/DarwinPorts/include"
>>> LDFLAGS="-L/Volumes/muffin/DarwinPorts/lib"
>>> F77=g77-dp-3.4
>>> CC=gcc-dp-3.4
>>>

>> What is that?!? That's not an Apple compiler and it's broken as you
>> can see from the config.log:
>>

> It's the GNU C compiler version 3.3.4.
>

>> configure:32439: gcc-dp-3.4 -o conftest -g -O2  -I/Volumes/muffin/
>> DarwinPorts/include -L/Volumes/muffin/DarwinPorts/lib conftest.c -
>> framework vecLib  -lg2c -lgcc_s -lSystemStubs -lSystem -lcc_dynamic
>> -lm  >&5
>> gcc-dp-3.4: vecLib: No such file or directory
>> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-framework"
>>

> This just means it doesn't support -framework.  This is actually the
> answer to my original question.  Apparently -framework is supported
> in stock gcc 4.x.

mmh, gcc 3.3.x from Apple supports -framework and it is documented in
the gcc man pages. (If I remember well, this is also supported on
some Win32 version of gcc)

>> You should definitely use Apple's compiler, stock GNU gcc is NOT
>> the same as Apple, because there are many features that Apple folks
>> have added. You should check out the Apple branch from GNU.
>>

> It might not be such a good idea to be too dependent on Apple's gcc.
> There are compilers from IBM and Intel that people may at some time
> be interested in using.

in this case, you need to bypass configure by specifying --with-
blas=path_to_your_blas_lib
  so gcc won't try to use the -framework flag.
This is of course the same you do on other unices.
You should also want to remove from the configure flags the options
to build R as a framework and just set --enable-shlib

In the end, given that you are using gcc-dp (darwin ports?) you
should also run make check after building R to assess the reliability
of your build.

Please, let us know your progresses here, we can put notes on the R
for OS X FAQ.
I understand your idea of a "pure" darwin (i.e.not necessarily aqua &
core foundation based) build, but I strongly believe that a "out-of-
the-box" configure and build on OS X must rely on apple's tools as
well on open source tools as much as possible (and IBM compilers
aren't for free at the moment)

stefano