[R-SIG-Mac] loading Rcmdr, R-Tcl/Tk errors due to X11

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Mon Oct 24 03:44:59 CEST 2005

On 20 Oct 2005, tlumley at u.washington.edu wrote:
> Q: Why can't I connect to the X Server after a network config
> change? It requires a restart of the X server.
>
> A: This is expected behavior in the Xauthority authentication
> mechanism which X11 for Mac OS X uses by default. The problem is
> that Xauth uses two keys, the ip address and hostname of the system
> running the X server. But these keys don't get updated if you change
> the network configuration. You can disable authentication from the
> "Security" tab of X11.app's preferences. Be aware that doing so may
> create a security hole.

Hmm, I don't see a security tab in the preferences for X11.app using
OS X 10.4.

I had this problem along with a more annoying issue of having my
hostname automagically change based on where I connected to the net.

I found notes via google suggesting that I edit /etc/hostconfig and
replace HOSTNAME=-AUTOMATIC- with my desired hostname.  I think this
resolved both issues for me.  YMMV.

+ seth