[R-SIG-Mac] loading Rcmdr, R-Tcl/Tk errors due to X11

stefano iacus stefano.iacus at unimi.it
Thu Oct 20 00:38:01 CEST 2005

On 19/ott/05, at 19:58, Thomas Lumley wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, stefano iacus wrote:
>

>> why you don't put X11.app in the startup app preferences? (if you
>> have x11 running, you can even do this from the doc).
>>

> There are problems with laptops, as James Wettenhall alluded to.
> If you
> change your network connection you will (often) need to close and
> restart
> X11.   My laptop changes network connections much more often than
> it gets
> rebooted.

I completely missed this point in James' mail...but now I read it :)
I don't know if this helps or not but this my experience: I
personally have x11.app launched at boot and I reboot my pbook only
when "software update" asks me, otherwise my machine is always
running (and occasionally sleeping).
I change network settings 3 to 4 four times a day (at least in the
last month) and I never needed to restart X11.

As I never experienced a failure I need some clarification from you:
what I understand from James' mail is that the problem arises if you
start X11 after changing network connection.
So, is this a X11 bug or what? If so, it is probably a good idea to
fill a bug report to apple.
If not, please explain.

btw: I agree with James that it is probably a nice idea to check
inside tcltk package to check if X11 is available (when tcltk/X11 is
needed) and if not ask the user to run X11 before proceeding.

stefano