[R-SIG-Mac] problem installing tkrplot

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Oct 19 04:14:46 CEST 2005

Girish,

> We saw your query on google.com we are facing the same issue as

Who's query?  Are you referring to a particular post from R-SIG-MAC?
Could you give a direct link to that post?

You talk about rpm's.  Are you sure you're posting this question to the
right mailing list?  I didn't know you could use rpm's on MacOSX.  I
thought they were only for Linux.

Are you trying to install tkrplot from source or from binary?  And if you
want a binary version - do you want a Mac binary or a Linux binary?

If you want a Mac binary, the version of tkrplot for R 2.2.0:
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/2.2/tkrplot_0.0-12.tgz
doesn't seem to exist yet.

But the R 2.1.x version is available here:
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/2.1/tkrplot_0.0-12.tgz

Do you want a Mac binary of tkrplot (as you are posting to the R-SIG-Mac
mailing list)?  Or are you actually trying to run tkrplot on Linux?  If
so, it sounds like you just need to ask your Linux administrator to clean
up your Tcl/Tk installation a bit.  Maybe it's just a matter of installing
the latest RPMs for tcl, tk, tcl-devel and tk-devel (or whatever they are
called) and the relevant x11-devel rpm(s) as well.  Or maybe you have a
mixture of Tcl/Tk installed from source and from RPM and something is
messed up?  Maybe post to a Tcl/Tk mailing list, rather than an R mailing
list?

Lastly, I'm curious as to why you want to use tkrplot.  On MacOSX (which
this mailing list is for), I don't know many R users who use tkrplot, and
there are very few R packages that I know of which depend on tkrplot.  My
packages limmaGUI and affylmGUI suggest tkrplot, but it is not required,
and most Mac users prefer to use the Quartz graphics device which gives
them almost all the same functionality except for one interactive plot
(i.e. clicking on a point in a heat-map/array-image-plot to tell you which
gene you're looking at) which currently only works with tkrplot.

Hope this helps,
James