[R-SIG-Mac] Memory error

stefano iacus jago at mclink.it
Mon Nov 28 14:01:27 CET 2005

I don't think this is necessarily a user problem of allocating big
chunks of memory, or at least I did experienced last days the same
kind of issue by iterating some linear optimization problem of very
small dimension (something like 5 rows x 5 columns matrix).
In my particular problem it was a sequence on independent calls to
lpSolve on very small problems. Looking at "top" command on the
shell, I've seen a growing number of vmem (VSIZE?) almost linearly
with iteration up to 3.5 giga.
This is also occurring after forcing gc(). If i stop the iteration
before the alloc failure, the previously allocated ram never gets
back until I quit R itself.
I'm not able to debug myself, but I can try to provide a reproducible
example (not these days, but later on)
I've faced the same problem on a G4 and a dual G5.

I'm curious to see the dimension of the data Alan is using, but I'm
confident that this is not where the problem lies.

stefano