[R-SIG-Mac] imageio configure?

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Fri May 27 05:37:49 CEST 2005

easy ways to get static libpng, libjpeg, libtiff is using Gerben's i-
installer
that also installs TeTeX and so on.

On May 26, 2005, at 15:47 , roger koenker wrote:

> Seems that I misinterpreted the Kwiki advice totally.  So I've
> tried installing libpng
> and libjpeg as suggested in Stefano's developer page.  Now in /usr/
> local/lib I have:
>
> yzzy: otool -L libpng.dylib
> libpng.dylib:
>         /usr/local/lib/libpng.3.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0,
> current version 3.0.0)
>         /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
> version 1.2.2)
>         /usr/lib/libmx.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
> current version 92.0.0)
>         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
> current version 88.0.0)
>
> configure seems happy to report PNG support, but  in make I  get
> the conflict:
>
> Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
>         unable to load shared library '/Users/roger/Rinstall/R-
> devel/library/grDevices/libs/grDevices.so':
>   dlopen(/Users/roger/Rinstall/R-devel/library/grDevices/libs/
> grDevices.so, 6): Symbol not found: __cg_png_destroy_write_struct
>   Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/
> ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/
> ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
>   Expected in: /usr/local/lib/libPng.dylib
> Execution halted
>

> I would be happy to follow the suggestion in the Kwiki to:
>
>     use static libraries for libjpeg, libpng and friends
>
> If only I knew how to implement it.  Sorry,  to be a bit dense
> about all this.
>
> Roger
>

> url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
> email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
> vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
> fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820
>

> On May 26, 2005, at 11:02 AM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>

>> Roger,
>>
>> On May 26, 2005, at 11:07 AM, roger koenker wrote:
>>

>>> I wonder if someone   could elaborate on the ./configure magic
>>> needed to find the libPng  in the imageio framework.
>>>

>> Even if you find it, it won't help unless you write a wrapper
>> dylib, because the symbol names are different (they start with
>> cg_). In addition, there are no header files for those private
>> frameworks, either, so you won't be able to compile any code
>> against it unless you make your own.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Simon

===
Jan de Leeuw; Distinguished Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of
Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 8130 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
.mac: jdeleeuw ++++++  aim: deleeuwjan ++++++ skype: j_deleeuw
homepages: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu ++++++ http://www.cuddyvalley.org