[R-SIG-Mac] R and Tiger

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon May 23 15:58:39 CEST 2005

Hi Federico,

On May 23, 2005, at 9:32 AM, Federico Calboli wrote:

> I am a new mac user and I have a PBook running tiger (OS 10.4.1).
> Can I run R on tiger (and what version? R.app? other?)?

Yes, pretty much any version you want (although we recommend to use
the latest one which is 2.1.0a for Mac OS X).

> Additionally, how do I update R once a new version is out? do I
> need to uninstall the old version and install the new one, or there
> is some clever trick like the apt-get function for Debian?

Currently there is no trick, you just install the new version and
once you don't like the old one anymore, you can just delete it by
moving /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.0.0 to trash (or
whatever the version is you want to delete). Basically, you can run
several R versions in parallel if you have a reason to do so, they co-
exist well.