[R-SIG-Mac] performance difference GUI vs. terminal

joerg van den hoff j.van_den_hoff at fz-rossendorf.de
Thu May 19 13:58:15 CEST 2005

hi all,

I upgraded today from 2.0 to 2.1.0a on my G5.
I'm using still mostly the command line interface to R, but of course
the GUI is attractive, too, and better access to the quartz() device is
a big plus (I would of course say a BIG thank you to the people who are
engaged in this).

but (as I already noted  under 2.0) there is a rather big difference in
performance when initiating the same calculations in the GUI and the
terminal, respectively.

for instance, in the GUI I get:

 > date(); sum <- 0; for (i in 1:1000000) sum <- sum+i; date()
[1] "Thu May 19 13:46:24 2005"
[1] "Thu May 19 13:46:36 2005"

i.e. about 12 sec. runtime

and doing the same in the terminal yields:

 > date(); sum <- 0; for (i in 1:1000000) sum <- sum+i; date()
[1] "Thu May 19 13:47:39 2005"
[1] "Thu May 19 13:47:42 2005"

i.e. about 3 sec.(sometimes 2, have not timed it more accurately as with
'date') runtime

give and take a second, it runs a factor of approx. 4-5 faster. why is
this? what I note is that the G5 apparently does heavily access the HD,
when calculations are under way from within the GUI. I don't see any
reason for this (lots of free RAM etc.).

Have I missed something on the mailing list?

best regards,

joerg

PS: to be specific, this is

platform powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0