[R-SIG-Mac] gcc 4.0.0 apple build 5018 with gfortran

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sun May 8 03:26:37 CEST 2005

As mentioned here before, there is currently no Tiger binary of
gfortran available that doesn't break on R sources. This is for
various reasons, one of them being that most of them are based on gcc
4.0.0 before the official release, which wasn't quite stable. Apple
build 5018 is based on the gcc 4.0.0 release and works with R, but
there was no binary - until now. You can find the binary of the whole
gcc 4.0.0 Apple build 5018 now at
http://wiki.urbanek.info/index.cgi?TigerGCC
along with some explanations and notes.

Please note that the use of the binary is not officially supported! I
have put up the page only for convenience of users that want to
experiment a bit. We still support only the CRAN build which uses gcc
3.3. When you use the above build, you're on your own. I don't see
any immediate benefit of using gcc4 instead of gcc3 except for
building G5-optimized or 64-bit versions of R... (which is useful
only for very specialized applications).