[R-SIG-Mac] Problem updating packages in R 2.1.0

Michael.Martin at anu.edu.au Michael.Martin at anu.edu.au
Sat May 7 11:02:39 CEST 2005

I have managed to compile R 2.1.0 on Tiger (with much thanks to all
on this list and Simon's Wiki), and so now I have a working R. My
initial problem at compile was the libjpeg/libpng/libtiff problem
described on the Wiki, and even applying the versioning fix listed
there didn't help. In the end, the fix that allowed a successful
compile was to explicitly include -L/System/.../ImageIO/Resources
as the first LDFLAG (removing things from /usr/local/lib and /sw/lib
broke other things, like pdftex - and, yes, it would be better to
clean up entirely, but compiling R has turned into the job of the
week). Now, when I update packages from source I get another problem;
e.g. updating foreign and then trying to load the library gave this
error:
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
        unable to load shared library '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources
/library/foreign/libs/foreign.so':
  dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/foreign/libs/foreign.
so, 6): Symbol not found: _libintl_dgettext
  Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/foreign/lib
s/foreign.so
  Expected in: flat namespace
Error: .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'foreign'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'foreign'

Sad to say I am at a loss to understand what the problem is (except that
R can't find the referenced symbol in the .so file and I suppose doesn't
know where else to look). Any ideas/fixes would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,
Michael.

Michael Martin
School of Finance and Applied Statistics
Australian National University
michael.martin at anu.edu.au