[R-SIG-Mac] compile problem on OS 10.4, R-2.1.0

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon May 2 22:45:27 CEST 2005

On May 2, 2005, at 3:32 PM, George W. Gilchrist wrote:

> I decided to have a go compiling R 2.1.0 with the new release of
> 10.4. Any idea what the problem might be with this? I don't think
> there is anything wrong with /usr/local/lib/libpng.dylib...

There is - it conflicts with the system one (as the error message
unmistakably tells you). For details see my post in response to the
exactly same problem described by Bill - don't use unversioned png/
jpeg/... libraries in /usr/local! I don't know where you get them
from, but they are bad. Use static libraries or correctly versioned
dynamic ones. The CRAN release has no such problem because the
libraries are properly versioned. The really clean solution is to
switch to ImageIO framework, but that's not quite trivial.