[R-SIG-Mac] Re: [Ggobi-help] building ggobi on OS X: gtk+

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Thu Mar 17 02:43:57 CET 2005

Byron Ellis wrote:
> IIRC ggobi uses gtk-1.x. The gtk-osx package is reportedly flaky so I
> used the X11 version.

GGobi itself can be compiled with gtk-2.*, and most of the things
work. Rggobi uses RGtk and  RGtk is _currently_ only for gtk-1.2.
Therefore, for Rggobi, you want gtk-1.2.

gtk-config --cflags
-I/usr/local/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/local/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/local/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include
gtk-config --version
1.2.10

There have been issues for some people when they end up with the glib pointing
to a Framework. Unfortunately, I am not certain how they ended up with that
configuration.

gtk-osx is not really flaky, as partial/spotty/incomplete.
So it is not even close to viable for a build of ggobi.