[R-SIG-Mac] gfortran binary for Xcode 2.1

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Jun 15 15:37:52 CEST 2005

Recently Apple released Xcode 2.1 for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger). Beside
i686 support it also features new version of the gcc4 compiler
collection. The good news is that finally it's possible to add most
recent gfortran without touching the other system files. I have
created a small package doing exactly that - see http://
wiki.urbanek.info/index.cgi?TigerGCC It contains gfortran apple build
5202 with both 32-bit and 64-bit support and a small uninstall script
so you can remove it at any time.

I highly recommend upgrading to Xcode 2.1 for all Tiger users that
want to compile their own R using gcc4 (such R passes make check, but
don't forget to add F77=gfortran FLIBS=/usr/lib/libgfortran.a to
configure). If you use CRAN release of R, you can safely ignore this
as the CRAN build uses gcc-3.3 and g77 which is still safer for 32-
bit version of R and compatible with both Tiger and Panther.