[R-SIG-Mac] problem installing packages from terminal

Federico Calboli f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Jun 4 21:32:03 CEST 2005

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the very comprehensive explanation... I am new to OSX and to
a number of things done the R.app way.

> You don't need to - in fact it's not recommended to enable the root
> user on OS X and it's completely unnecessary, because you should be
> using sudo with the same effect without potentially hazardous side-
> effects of enabling root.

I am a Linux user at work (and I sysadmin for myself as well), and the
more Linux/Unix like in behaviour I can make OSX the better. The fact
that I have administrative privileges is something I find pretty weird.

Cheers,

Federico

--
Federico C. F. Calboli
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health

Tel  +44 (0)20 7594 1602     Fax (+44) 020 7594 3193

f.calboli [.a.t] imperial.ac.uk
f.calboli [.a.t] gmail.com