[R-SIG-Mac] install.packages default type change?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat Jul 23 21:45:20 CEST 2005

I see many people have been busy making the points I had in mind, so
just two quick add-ons:

On Jul 23, 2005, at 8:14 AM, Bill Northcott wrote:

> Then Stefano got me to the next step.  MacOS is philosophically not
> Linux or UNIX.  It is meant to be used by grandma.  The implication
> of this is that we should not ship MacOS X binary installers that put
> anything in /usr.

Those are exactly the reasons why tcl/tk library and g77 are disabled
in the installer by default, although we include them in the CRAN
image - if you know what you're doing, you can enable it, if you
don't - nothing to worry about.

Ideally we should supply Tcl/Tk private framework for R, such that it
is entirely self-contained, but we could get into trouble with Tcl/Tk
add-ons in some R packages and configure scripts. This setup is a
temporary work-around anyway, because in the long run the CRAN binary
should use Aqua Tcl/Tk and not depend on X11 (while still supporting
it, of course).

Thank you all for contributing to the discussion - the arguments I
presented in the first mail were just what we came up after some
thinking about it, but we could be wrong, so it's good to hear what
the users really want...