[R-SIG-Mac] install.packages default type change?

stefano iacus stefano.iacus at unimi.it
Sat Jul 23 08:26:13 CEST 2005

Bill,
my personal experience (which dates 2001 on R for Mac) is that I
receive dozen of user's feedback and they even don't know what a
compiler is. They don't even know where to find the Dev Tools on the
distribution. And that's the reason why we provide binaries.
More over, I know about people that know what a compiler is and they
installed DevTools but when you talk about X11 they are lost: they
install the X11 application and they think they also have header
files installed which is untrue as apple made this an optional
install on devtool cd. (I've got this kind of report two days ago!)
You are a quite advanced "user".

stefano